Wednesday, January 27, 2010

public art, consumerism, TV, etc


I was sent a link today for an artist's website that had some ingenious public art projects. Her name is Colleen Ellis, and here's a link to a great video she had installed in public spaces about contemporary marketing toward youth culture. The statistic I found most haunting was this:
99.5 households in America have at least one TV. Some of these homes are without running water.
Since moving to Boston, I've been living for the first time in my life without a television (except travel and 6 months spent studying abroad), and I'm not missing it like I thought I would. I'm also not reading nearly as much as I thought I would... probably because I waste so much time on the computer.
Pictured above is from another one of her projects, private thoughts/public spaces : "Excerpts from a series of interviews about childhood memories are printed on common objects, replacing a commercial message with a unexpected personal one. "

No comments:

Post a Comment